TURNITIN is an Internet-based service intended to help identify and prevent plagiarism cases. Students submit their papers electronically, and then Turnitin compares the content of those papers to over a billion other papers and documents. Whenever similarities between a student's paper and an existing document are found, Turnitin highlights those similarities, providing the instructor with an annotated document showing both the student's paper and the original source.
Turnitin is integrated with Moodle, that means instructors and students can use it directly from inside Moodle at VIU.
- Through Moodle, teachers and students can submit documents to Turnitin.
- Turnitin's servers compare documents submitted with:
- millions of pages of academic journals, books and newspapers,
- over 4.5 billion pages of the current and archived Internet, and
- Turnitin's databases of over 10 million student papers.
- The results of the comparison between a student paper and the above sources returns as a color-coded customized Originality Report