How can I get access to Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus for free as a Student or Staff?
VIU students and instructors are now eligible to receive Microsoft Office 365 free of charge! Office 365 provides you with the full functionality of Microsoft Office Suite on your personal devices and anywhere else you may need to access your documents. You will be able to install the latest versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Access, and Publisher on up to five PC or Mac computers and on your Windows and Apple mobile devices. On top of these benefits, you will also be able to access Office Online and use 1 terabyte (TB) of OneDrive storage space.
Office System Requirements
|Operating system||PC: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 10
Mac: Mac OS X 10.10
|Disk space||PC: 3.0 GB of available disk space
Mac: 6 GB of available disk space. HFS+ hard disk format (also known as Mac OS Extended or HFS Plus)
Computer and processor
|PC: 2 GB RAM
Mac: 4 GB RAM
PC: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster x86-bit or x64-bit processor with SSE2 instruction set
Mac: Intel processor
|Windows: Includes the following software:
Mac OS X : Includes the following software:
Activating Your Campus Account
- Go to Office 365 for Students/Staff
- Enter your campus email address and click “Get started.”
- You will receive an email at your campus address with more information about installation. When you receive the email, click the “Complete Office 365 Education signup” link provided.
The page below will open in another browser.
- When you complete the form above, the screen below will pop up.
- After completing this setup, you can always access Office 365 by going to http://mail.office365.com where you may login to your account using your campus mail and password you created at step 3 above.
- Sign in to your student/staff Office 365 account.
Windows Installation Guide
- To install Office 365 on Windows, login to Office 365 (step 6 above) and click “Install now” as shown below to download a setup file similar to Setup.X86.en-US_O365ProPlusRetail.
- Clicking the install button will download (or prompt you to download, depending on your browser settings) an executable file (.exe) for Microsoft Office. Click to Run. After it has downloaded, launch the setup file.
- When the execution file has been correctly run, you will see the screen as below and Office will begin installing in the background.
- Step 2 will take 5 or more minutes to complete depending on your PC. After installation is complete, a window will pop up as shown below. This means office 365 has completed successfully and you can access your office applications.