Where does spyware come from?
Spyware is most commonly installed as a component of freeware and shareware applications. Whenever you install something on your computer, make sure you carefully read all disclosures, including the license agreement and privacy statement. Sometimes the inclusion of spyware is documented, but it may appear at the end of a license agreement or privacy statement.
How can I avoid spyware?
Key spyware prevention tips include:
- Install and run anti-spyware software.
- Surf and download smarter.Keep your operating system up-to-date.
- Be more cautious when downloading free software, especially "free" file-sharing applications, which often are bundled with spyware.
- Do not download or run e-mail attachments unless you know what they are.
- Only download from Web sites and people you trust.
- Adjust your Web browser's security settings or use a more secure Web browser.
- Use a firewall. Most operating systems include built-in firewall software. More information on Firewall.
- Never click "agree" or "OK" to close a window. Instead, click the red "x" in the corner of the window or press the Alt + F4 buttons on your keyboard to close a window.