To diagnose and remove spyware, VIU recommends Spybot - Search & Destroy, a free anti-spyware application that detects spyware on your Windows computer. The following links provide information for downloading, installing, and running Spybot.
- Download / Install Spybot - Search & Destroy
- Run Spybot - Search & Destroy
- Prevent Spyware with Spybot's Immunize function
Running Anti-Spyware Software
- Due to the complex nature of spyware applications, no single software program offers complete protection. Several commercial anti-spyware applications are available. Using multiple anti-spyware tools and downloading with caution are the best ways to secure your computer. See the anti-spyware software applications below for more options.
- Check for the latest updates immediately, before running a spyware scan. Just as with antivirus software, you must update your spyware definitions regularly and scan your computer at least once a week.
- Set your spyware options for the highest level of scanning and to fix spyware automatically. Be sure to install and run anti-spyware software on all the computers that you use (office, home, lab, etc ...).
- Be cautious of what you delete from your computer.
Other Anti-Spyware Options
There are other spyware packages to consider, including those for Macintosh computers. Some are free for home use, but other companies may charge for the software. The following is provided for information purposes only and does not constitute a recommendation from VIU IT.
- Compatible with Microsoft Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003
- Free download (expanded version is not)
For more a more complete review of available anti-spyware applications, please visit Windows Defender.